KFlowRects proposal (planned for next Monday)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 7 09:34:23 BST 2007

On 07.08.07 08:39:55, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 06 August 2007 23:24:13 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > > Sounds like a bad idea.  (the moving code, not the getting rid of).
> > > Creating a new class in ui for something that Qt is pretty capable of
> > > doing is not my idea of cleaning up.
> >
> > If Qt can do it then removing it is correct... but I'm not familiar
> > with Qt providing this functionality. Maybe instead of just saying
> > "that's a bad idea, Qt can do this" you could specify *how* Qt can do
> > this?
>
> Sorry for being unclear; the mail from Matt on this thread gave a for 3
> lines of code QRect solution that seems like a great base to me.
>
> I'm also a bit troubled by the fact we are already in freeze when you
> propose code that you have not written yet, has no API that is actually
> used by more then you so it didn't get a whole lot of peer review.  And,
> no, I don't think that emails to this or any mailinglist are a good
> substitute for that. ;)
>
> I suggest you wait until 4.0 is out the door and postpone the search for a
> (kdelibs based) solution to after that point.

You didn't get the idea did you? If kdefx is not removed now (which has
users, who have to have some replacement to not drop features), KDE4
will have it always. There is a replacement in the works for KDE 4.1,
but it has to be removed for 4.0.

So the choice is either just removing it (moving KStyle to kdeui)
blindly and having a few modules in trunk/KDE not build until someone
ports them to Blitz (as external dependecy) or drops the code that used
kdefx-classes.

Matthew just tries to put some of the code which is not in Blitz into
another library (i.e. kdeui) in kdelibs so that users of that code can
be ported instead of break.

So far Matthew didn't propose to add new untested code, he proposed to
move, rename and cleanup a class from kdefx.

Andreas

--
You have a truly strong individuality.