Making kdefx static

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Aug 3 21:48:13 BST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 2:57:02 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> There are a number of people that want to kill kdefx, for a number of
> reasons:
>
> - the code is ugly and (reportedly) doesn't work
> - parts are in the process of being supplanted by Qt
> - it exists partly because in KDE3, KStyle could not be in kdeui
> - the code has, AFAICT, received practically no love in a long time
> - parts do not follow naming convention
>
> The intent as far as I can see is to replace it with a totally new,
> well-designed and high-quality lib in 4.1. Since of course 4.1 != 4.0
> and there are unfortunately a number of users that have not ported away
> from kdefx, we need to do something to provide for a more graceful
> transition away than simply removing the library.
>
> Therefore, I can think of a few options:
> 1. Rename the useful bits K3* and remove what we can
> 2. Make the library static
> 3. Both?
>
> Option 1 would mean we are stuck with stale (and ugly) code for the life
> of KDE4. Option 2 means we can yank kdefx later without affecting BC.
> Option 3 is the same as 2 except that 2 is (or is very nearly) SC, while
> 1 and 3 require minor code changes for all users (i.e. adding "3" to all
> uses).
>
> My preference is option 2. If we can reach a consensus, I will plan to
> do this either Monday 8/13 (if I can get it done by then, I don't have a
> lot of available time next week) or else Monday 8/20.
>
> Note that Allen Winter has already stated that kdefx is exempt from the
> freeze, and that previous consensus on k-c-d has been to proceed with
> removal of the library.

Matthew,

I believe the earlier discussion on this issue, as shown below,
is what we should do.  Note that you do not have an
exemption to put in an entire new subsystem; rather
an exemption to remove and cleanup in kdefx.

IOW: trash kdefx in KDE 4.0.  Hopefully, we'll have either
1) Quasar in a future Qt 4.x release 2) parts of Quasar
in a brand new kdefx in KDE 4.1+

Yes, this might mean that some apps have to
regress on some features.  I guess.  But, it is a .0.
Or, those apps can temporarily copy over the kdefx
code to their local source.