[Patch] clearButtonClicked signal for KLineEdit

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Apr 28 21:33:54 BST 2007

On Saturday 28 April 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 28 April 2007, Mathias Soeken wrote:
> > Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > the patch looks good technically; i had considered providing such a
> > > signal but was waiting for a use case to pop up first. what is the use
> > > case in kmail?
> >
> > In the composer window, you can enter recipients line by line. When
> > clicking on the clear button the whole line is removed from all the
> > recipient lines. Now there is a clear button as push button. But when
> > clearing the text in the lineedit widget, the recipient line should not
> > be removed.
>
> Isn't this a case where the clear button should stay out of the lineedit,
> given the special meaning it has? (Delete the whole line and make it
> disappear, rather than just clearing it)

hm.. no, i think this is a valid use case indeed. it clears only the one line,
though that action has other effects. it's identical to pressing backspace /
delete until there is no more text.

contrast this with the search line above the headers where it is indeed best
to keep it outside since it clears multiple widgets...

personally, i'm ok with this patch given the use case.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se