KDE3 apps running in a KDE4-modified environment

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 28 14:26:49 BST 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.04.07 17:05:16, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 18 April 2007 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > But KDEHOME is not about the prefix. In the last days and weeks there
> > > was some effort to make sure kde4 and kde3 can live in the same prefix.
> > > But how does this work if application A/kde4 installs a new config file
> > > in the data dir which A/kde3 doesn't understand? Are there going to be
> > > different data dirs for kde4 (like share/kde4/apps/<appname> or
> > > share/apps/kde4/<appname>)?
> > >
> > How are they going to share bin/<appname> and bin/<appname>?
>
> Hmm, right. So I guess its either or for apps that don't want to add a
> 4-suffix. I guess the renaming is mainly needed for kdelibs/kdebase
> then?

Yes, even kdelibs only I would say.
So you would install kdelibs3 and kdelibs4, and kdebase4-runtime at least,
possibly the rest of kdebase4 too (to have konqueror).
Then you can install kdepim3 _or_ kdepim4, but not both,
kdegames3 or kdegames4, but not both, etc.

But we still have quite some work to do before we get there.
Hmm, I should rename kdeinit to kdeinit4 monday.