[kde-artists] Icon naming issue

Kenneth Wimer wimer at kde.org
Fri Apr 27 21:26:42 BST 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 21:58:27 Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> On Friday 27 April 2007 21:39:48 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > >
> > > Why is this bad? Apps drop their default icons to hicolor so these
> > > are picked up regardless of the theme in use.
> >
> > HiColor is not "default", it is fallback.
>
> Semantics
>
> > > Why should any theme put its icons there? If a theme is complete, no
> > >  icons will ever need to be searched for in hicolor. If it is not
> > > complete, it should provide its own list of parent themes (e.g.
> > > "based on CrystalSVG") and the missing icons should be picked from
> > > the parent theme, so again, no need to search hicolor.
> >
> > While I half agree with you, the point here is the standard:
>
> Again, semantics...
>
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.h
> >tm l

Sorry for saying this was a case of misunderstanding, it is not...as you
mentioned in this link the spec says:

' In order to have a place for third party applications to install their icons
there should always exist a theme called "hicolor" '

I am not sure how you interpret this to mean that hicolor should be a full
icon theme on it's own.

Ken