Another monday and again the Nepomuk-KDE question

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Apr 24 17:19:14 BST 2007

On Monday, 23. April 2007, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:

> again I am asking if we can merge the Nepomuk-KDE core parts into
> kdelibs/kdebase. All krazy issues have been solved and during the merge I
> would remove the rcgen run from the build and just add the few basic
> generated sources to the svn.

I've not being able to find a high level technical description of how the
stuff is going to work, so any judgement about wether this fits or not fits
inclusion quality is going to be difficult. From looking at the installed
header files, there are no obvious major things to fix, and it looks clean
and nice to me.

From the previous discussion, I was under the impression that you have no idea
if it is going to remain source or binary compatible over the time of KDE
4.x. Is that still the case? This question doesn't seem to be answered right
now. If you don't know, I would again recommend to not include it in the set
of API that is guaranteed to stay binary compatible with the release of 4.0.
That doesn't mean it can not be a dependency for some KDE application though.

> * libKMetaData into the kdelibs (metadata creation and query library for
> usage in applications)

What can it do right now? What does it depend on? Which parts of kdelibs will
depend on it in the future? It seems to link kdeui and knepomul right now.

> * RDFRepository service into kdebase/runtime (a Nepomuk-KDE core-service
> which provides the RDF storage for all metadata)

how does the data storage work?

> * libSoprano into kdesupport (RDF QT/C++ wrapper library, currently using a
> redland backend)

This will be a hard dependency then for knepomuk and therefore for kdelibs,
right? How much of nepomuk will work without it? Can applications discover
existance of the nepomuk service at runtime or is it a compile time
dependency?

Thanks,
Dirk