KCharSelect data file

Daniel Laidig d.laidig at gmx.de
Sun Apr 22 11:18:31 BST 2007

Hi,

since the large header file for the unicode data of KCharSelect didn't work
that well, I've rewritten everything to use a data file (2.8 MB), generated
by a python script. However, I have some questions before I can commit:

1. What should I do with the I18N_NOOPs? In the old code they were used to
tranlate the sections (14 strings) and the blocks (126 strings). What is the
best way to get this done? (The problem is that the strings appear nowhere in
the code, just in the data file.)

2. Where should I put the data file in SVN?

3. To which location should it be installed?
(I would propose ${DATA_INSTALL_DIR}/kcharselect/unicode-data.)

4. Is it ok to put the script in
trunk/KDE/kdesdk/scripts/kcharselect-generate-datafile.py or is there any
better location?

There is one last question, not concerning the data file:

5. Simon Hausmann suggested to remove the possibility to customize the shown
widgets. [1] Currently, just KBabel uses it to display a minimal version of
KCharSelect (which doesn't work that well IMHO). And I heard rumors that
KBabel is going to be replaced anyway. I really don't know that to do with
this option, but it should be solved before the API freeze. ;)

Thanks!
Daniel

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117545544311916&w=2