new kdecore dependency libutempter.so (bug 140308)

Martin von Gagern Martin.vGagern at gmx.net
Fri Apr 20 09:25:44 BST 2007

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> uhm, i just remembered, that i planned to create kutempter to solve the
> utmp problems for non-root users somewhat more generically ... that
> actually removes the kdecore linking requirements as well.

What is kutempter supposed to be?

A library?
Then this sounds a lot like my suggestion 6. to move that stuff from
kdecore nearer to the applications.

A binary linking against the libutempter library?
I'm not sure if problems arise from passing the FD through one more
binary, but I guess it should work.

A binary calling the utempter suid root binary?
The you are stuck again with the compatibility issues.

A binary manipulating utmp by itself?
Would cause redundancy, would need careful review that utempter
presumably already got, and would not benefit immediately from
libutempter maybe being ported to additional platforms in the future.

Martin