Adding font groups to font chooser

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Sat Apr 21 17:16:18 BST 2007

On Saturday 21 April 2007 09:27:26 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2007 19:01, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > > For more inspiration;
> > > http://unifont.org/fontdialog/
> > > And click the 'The Solution' tab at the top.
> >
> > Yeah, I'd seen that before. But, my question was whether the changes I
> > proposed were worth pursuing or not.

I think that providing groupings of fonts would make the font selector much
more usable.

> The implementation of using an extra column is one that I think is too
> simplistic and not effective. The tree structure as shows in the solution
> looks a lot more effective and I'd rather see the second part (the visual
> representation) implemented like that.
> This also avoids the problems noted elsewhere in this thread of having
> horizontal scrollbars.

I'd like to see overlapping groupings, with different types of categorisation
such as monspaced, serif/sans serif in addition to things like handwritten,
symbols, etc. A tree structure would allow easy handling of
subcategorisation - it would be useful, for example, to be able to select
first monospaced, then within that, sans serif, etc. As long as the tree is
initially collapsed by default, it could provide a very flexible way of
selecting fonts by multiple categories.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.