Adding font groups to font chooser

Craig Drummond craig at kde.org
Thu Apr 19 23:17:00 BST 2007

Hi,

I've been updating the font installation KControl module to have some basic
font management features. One of these is the possibility to create groups of
fonts. There are two basic group types - "custom" created by the user, and can
contain any combination of fonts, and "writing systems" - this is built by
examining each font, and determining with which writing system it is
applicable. The font installer currently looks like:

http://home.freeuk.com/cpdrummond/fontinst.png

As part of this, I'd like to update the font selection dialog so that it can
use the same font groupings. The font dialog would now look like:

http://home.freeuk.com/cpdrummond/fontchooser.png

I've attached a diff of the kdelibs/kdeui folder, and the kfontgroups source
files. I placed the font group stuff into its own class, as I'd like to make
similar changes to the font combo as well - however I'm not 100% how to do
that yet.

The code attached is probably not 100% to the kdelibs coding style, but I just
want to know whether this (the font grouping) is an idea that is worth
pursuing, or not.

Craig.