KDE3 apps running in a KDE4-modified environment

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Apr 18 09:47:10 BST 2007

On mercoledì 18 aprile 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> >But the potential problem exists now: what if an user
> >installs KDE4, runs Kmahjongg 4, and then attempts to install, download
> >and run the KDE3 version?
>
> You're not allowed to do that. KDE applications do NOT support
> downgrading.

But applications should not crash on invalid data too...
Configuration options should at least be validated when read.

If there is a problem with the configuration files, a sane thing to do is to
warn the user and use default values.

Or the application may refuse to start, but offering a reason.

Now it's late to fix kde3 applications, but we may make KDE4 applications
more robust in this respect.

--
                                                            \\ //