RFC: KRecentFilesAction: hide urls

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Apr 12 23:16:04 BST 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 19:10, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Hiding information is bad usability.
>
> perhaps you can expand on why? since we're not all usability experts,
> it is not obvious how this is bad usability.

Sorry, I thought this was one of those things that if you say it out loud,
you go like; right! That makes sense :)

The point here is simple;  if the user needs some information (the
directory in this case) and there is absolutely no way to find out what
it is that is bad for the user experience as you leave him guessing. As
we all know murphy :)
So; if you want to remove information for the sake of simplicity, realize
that if a user actually needs that info you just made things worse. Not
better.

Basic usability idea here is that you should make the essential
information easy to find and the relevant info possible to look up.
--
Thomas Zander