[RFC] Using KPassivePopup from KSystrayIcon

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Thu Apr 5 11:02:54 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 08:40:54 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 of April 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 April 2007, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote
> > about 'Re: [RFC] Using KPassivePopup from KSystrayIcon':

> > > I liked using NULL (in order to be unambiguous) until I was told that
> > > it is not portable.  NULL is not always defined to be "just zero",
but
> > > it may be (void *)0.
>
>  Not true.

I've already heard the "NULL is not portable rumor" be never experienced
any
issues, so that may very well be untrue.

However, it is absolutely true that non-standard compliers may define NULL
as
something other than 0.  For example, g++ defines NULL to be something
other
than 0.  (Although, it's probably even better than 0).

> > Stroustrup uses 0:
> > http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq2.html#null
> >
> > The standard says they are the same (after preprocessing).
>
>  Not true.

Hrm, I'll take Stroustrap's word (linked from my mail) instead of yours and
assume standard NULL is defined to be 0, at least until I get a chance to
view the actual standard.  Or, am I behind the times and C++0x is actually
the standard now and not just a work in progress AND is has a new define
for
NULL.

>  http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=115090731411534&w=2 - I don't
> feel like repeating myself yet once more.

That mail recommends the use of NULL and links to a blog post that's even
shorter than the email.  The document linked from the blog post demands the
use of 0, but doesn't really support that position other than saying NULL
is
C-style not C++-style (It's also document [2] above).  The document linked
from the comments is a proposal for C++0x; but, I don't know if it actually
because part of that work without material changes.  Also, I didn't think
C++0x had become the standard yet.

Could someone in charge throw up a document on techbase that we can treat
as
canonical?  Or, should the developer.kde.org document ([1] above) be
treated
as canonical and any of 0, 0L, or NULL be acceptable across all KDE code?

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))