Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 5 17:07:47 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Olaf Schmidt wrote:
>> 1. The handling of colours, icons and fonts in KDE can be much improved.
>> You can find a description of useful changes here:
>> http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf
>
> Ok, I don't think we should have numbered background roles as on page 3.
> IMO the background roles should be:
>
> Workspace (currently known as "standard")
> Selected
> Window
> Button
> Tooltip
>
> For cases where a special background color is wanted, we can do two
> things; invert the foreground and background (this means only one text
> color may be used), or use blending to maintain legibility while
> creating new colors. Specifically, the only use-case I know of for using
> a non-standard background is the address bar when at a secure website.

Nope, I *really* don't want to go here. I just realized a use-case for
this from kdevelop-devel, kdiff. This is an instance where you want a
differently-colored background. Since almost all such uses use tinted
colors (i.e. not strongly contrasting colors), IMO the right way to do
this is to use one of the foreground roles for the foreground, and the
standard background with the foreground being used in about 85/15 blend.

...which means we still need a 'blend colors' function in kdelibs or Qt.
Did that ever happen?

--
Matthew
<insert bad pun... on second thought, better not>