KDE4 default shortcut theme

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Apr 4 02:55:03 BST 2007

On Saturday, 31. March 2007, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> I agree that we need to clearly define "safe" shortcut ranges for
> applications.
>
> Unfortunately it is impossible to do this in a radically new way if we want
> our applications to work on other platforms.
>
> If we invent our own, completely independent keyboard shortcut scheme, then
> we are in effect telling users that we do not want them to use KDE
> applications if they also use GNOME, and that we don't care about KDE
> applications on Windows and MacOS.

I think that shortcut presets should be used a bit more, making this problem
much more shallow than it seems to be now. It is not only desktop-wide
shortcuts demanding to be consistent with other platforms, it's just as much
concerning applications, especially the more advanced ones.
(I remember Krita wanting to do a Photoshop preset, and I guess KDevelop could
do well with an optional Eclipse-like shortcut preset as well.)

The point is, I do not think that it's a good idea to settle on the least
common denominator. GNOME, Windows and Mac OS all have their shortcut
characteristics, but not adhering to all of them by default doesn't mean that
we automatically disregard those platforms.

What I'd like to see is a solution that is similar in spirit to what Phonon
and Solid do: Provide an interface that works well within itself, but make it
possible to get the whole of it switched in the backend. I imagine
KDE-specific shortcut sets to be the "standard", the fallback preset, if
you're either running a KDE desktop or you're running a foreign platform and
no platform-specific shortcut sets have been written yet.

Like translations, don't try to translate to every single language on earth by
yourself, but make it possible for native speakers to translate your strings.
We don't have to make all the Linux-based application developers worry about
Windows and Mac OS, just tell the Windows users and the Mac fanboys to create
their "native" set of shortcuts if the default one doesn't fit into their
environment.

It is my opinion that trying to find _one_ solution that works equally well on
all platforms makes all of them mediocre in the end. Just take a look at
Windows to see how Microsoft can't even drop the silliest features because
they need to accomodate everyone. Let's not drift off in this direction.
If we want to have something great, we can't just come down to the least
common denominator.

It's not important to get the same shortcuts by default when you switch to
(or from) the KDE desktop. I switched from Windows once, but it's something
you do once in years. Sacrificing consistency within the desktop for
consistency made for one-time switching is not the best idea ever, imho.

And yeah, we can also do GNOME bindings, er, shortcut presets.
Or rather, let the people create them who work within a GNOME environment.
And if that's not a good idea, then let's get together with the Gnomies and
define one single standard for all of X11, with them dropping the bad stuff
just as much as we're supposed to do. But for heaven's sake, don't take
platforms into account that will never run on one system at the same time.

Cheers,
  Jakob