Proposal: dlopening the file dialog

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Apr 2 13:27:31 BST 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007, John Tapsell wrote:
> The file daemon idea is probably not that feasible (people like to
> modify the dialogs etc.)
That's not a problem - the current design already distinguishes two kinds of uses:
you want a standard file dialog, it's dlopened. You want a customized one, you have to
link to libkfile.
A daemon would only ever replace the first solution, not the second one.

> but it would have one big advantage if done
> properly - it would let you secure a system much better.
>
> Currently one biggish problem with selinux (for example) is that you
> can't currently say "firefox shouldn't write to disk" because the user
> might download and save a file.  Using a daemon that popped up a file
> open/save  dialog, and then opened the file and somehow passed the
> file descriptor back, would mean that you could then use selinux to
> stop firefox from opening any file (apart from config files etc).

I fail to see how this is relevant to dlopening vs a daemon. The dlopened module
could do just the same, couldn't it?