Does local time zone need a name?

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Sun Apr 1 20:54:09 BST 2007

There has been a thread on kde-core-devel debating whether the local time zone
name needs to be identified. Because of the title of the thread, "KDED time
zone module", some people may have ignored it.

The thread has ended up as a debate between myself and Thiago about whether or
not it is necessary to know the name of the local time zone. I have argued
that it is necessary for display to the user (in time zone selection combo
boxes at least), and for writing to iCalendar (and probably other data also).
Thiago argues that simply calling it "local zone" (or similar) is sufficient,
the benefit being to avoid what can in some circumstances be a costly
initialisation process to identify it. For details, see the thread referred
to, particularly from
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117534844924723&w=2 onwards.

I'd appreciate it if some KDE PIM people, and others, could give their views
so that it isn't a debate between just two people.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.