objections to disallowing in-source builds in all KDE modules ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Sep 30 09:49:58 BST 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 01:09, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 18:48, David Faure wrote:
> > I don't think it has to mimic configure, I think there could be a simple
> > bootstrap.sh which basically does
> >    test -d build || mkdir build; cd build; cmake $* ..
> > (although a build subdir isn't the best solution, as I showed in my
> > presentation, but such a script is mostly for non-developers who just
> > want to compile the stuff)
> >
> > Or maybe we even call it configure, but it aborts if any "--" option is
> > passed, pointing to calling cmake instead. At least for the easy case it
> > makes ./configure&&make&&make install work.
> >
> > Or what else did you have in mind, George? If the script also calls make
> > and make install it would be pretty unusual and not really expected I
> > think.
>
>   Sounds good to me.  Maybe a second script, or some text output, or a
> special argument to do the "make; make install".  Whatever.  We're talking
> about the same thing anyway, and I like it.

Locally I have a patch for cmake (which almost works), where a project (e.g.
KDE) can define its own "command line shortcuts" for cmake options.
So with this patch you can (once it's really finished) map arbitrary options,
e.g. "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX" -> "--prefix"; "-DBUILDTYPE" -> "--build" etc.

IMO we should have a script named configure, which just outputs "please run
"cmake <dir> ...options", followed by make and make install, <some of the
more important options>"

Bye
Alex