Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Thu Sep 28 16:42:01 BST 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 15:12, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 28 September 2006 16:07, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Both at the kdegames BOF and kdeedu BOF there was discussion about if
> > programs created enterely in Ruby/Python/etc are going to be allowed to
> > be in main modules of kde for KDE 4.
> >
> > No one found any policy against it but no one found a policy for it
> > neither so we are somewhat unsure if it is allowed or not.
> >
> > Could we get a clear "Yes"?
>
> That's unlikely to happen, given that it's about programming languages, but
> here's my:
>
> "Yes, of course, naturally, it would be insanely stupid not to allow it."
>
> The bindings are stable and there are many applications for which
> python/ruby/whatever is a much better choice than C++.
Yes, I agree and especially for educational applications.

On Thursday 28 September 2006 15:17, Paulo Jorge Guedes wrote:
> It would be great I think.
> What is the status of Qt4 and kdelibs Ruby bindings for Windows?
The Qt4 QtRuby bindings work on Windows, but aren't easy to build because
automake/autoconf don't work. You will need to look up some of the
discussions on the Korundum RubyForge site about Windows build issues. I
haven't started working on Ruby bindings for KDE4 yet because it's too early.

Here's a couple of nice educational apps I found yesterday that use Qt3
QtRuby:

http://www.arachnoid.com/ruby/graphinity/index.html
http://www.arachnoid.com/ruby/gravity/index.html

And an excellent tutorial from the same guy:

http://www.arachnoid.com/ruby/RubyGUIProject/index.html

-- Richard