jstreams and strigi for KFileMetaInfo

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:45:46 BST 2006

Hi all,

A cool suggestion by aseigo on the Strigi BoF was to use Strigi as the
basis for a new implementation of KFileMetaInfo. I've thought about
how to do this and I've come up with the following scheme for doing
this.

Strigi has  an executable called 'xmlindexer' which output metadata
about files as xml. KFileMetaInfo would normally query strigi for the
metadata of a file. If the particular file is not indexed because it's
very new, not in an indexed directory or because the strigidaemon is
not running, then KFileMetaInfo would call 'xmlindexer' on the (list
of) files.

Doing this would have a few advantages:

- indexing of metadata would be more efficient because strigi would
not need to call KFileMetaInfo
- KFileMetaInfo would be indexed and searchable
- retrieving KFileMetaInfo would be (should be) more efficient,
because the data is read from the database and is not generated on the
fly

So my proposal is to port KFileMetaInfo to xmlindexer and
strigidaemon. The call to strigidaemon would go through the kde strigi
calling class (in development).

Cheers,
Jos