QT_NO_STL in KDE4

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Sep 13 09:59:37 BST 2006

Dne úterý 12 září 2006 17:19 David Faure napsal(a):
> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 16:56, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > kleag at free.fr wrote:
> > >Is there a reason why cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake defines by
> > > default QT_NO_STL ?
>
> Because kde3 did - that's the only reason so far.

 So we no longer care that it noticeably increases build times or it doesn't
do so anymore?

> > Probably to encourage the use of the QTL classes only. KDE and Qt API
> > must use them, instead of the STL equivalents.
>
> But using the STL algorithms on the QTL classes can be quite useful. If you
> don't believe me I'll send you a Marc Mutz :)
>
> This is a recurring discussion, but I think we shouldn't define QT_NO_STL,
> especially now that the suggested build options for qt (in qt-copy) don't
> include -no-stl anymore.

 Using or not using -no-stl is different. If you use -no-stl when building Qt,
there's no STL support at all. If you use QT_NO_STL, just the STL-related
stuff in .h files is #ifdef-ed out, but when it's needed it's just a matter
of changing QT_NO_STL. Compiling Qt with -no-stl seems stupid. Compiling KDE
without QT_NO_STL, unless needed, seems unnecessary.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz