Features for the new bugzilla?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Sep 11 15:12:30 BST 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 15:45, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Montag, 11. September 2006 15:38 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> > I think in the long run we can't expect all users to do bug entries or
> > comments in English.
> >
> > The bug reporter would need a way to specify the used language and the
> > application maintainer would need a way to ask for translation help.

> And what if the provided information isn't good enough? That will create a
> terrible mess. Sorry, but I think unless we fixed all problems people able
> to communicate in english, there is little need to make the process more
> complicated.

I agree that it is unfortunately not even close to an ideal solution, however
keeping out a growing number of users from the feedback flow doesn't sound
good to me either.

There might be enough feedback availabl in English for particular problems,
but this is quite application specific. It might be true for the core
applications but applications with more limited target audience might have
only non-English users.

> I'd think if people e.g. only speaking german turn to kde-de at kde.org and
> find someone who can reproduce their problem, that other person can go to
> bugzilla and file it. If the bug is only reproducible on that one specific
> german speaking person, there is little value in it anyway ;(

I am afraid this kind of delegation does not work.

It is one thing to ask for a help on a problem and another to ask for
translating and adding a bug report.
And for the support person it is one thing to give advise or instructions and
another becoming the problem reporter from the developer's point of view.

This is obviously a problem on all our feedback channels, one that has to be
solved unless we want to stand accused of having first and second class
users.

Cheers,
Kevin

--