Features for the new bugzilla?

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sat Sep 9 09:41:07 BST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 18:56, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 8 September 2006 18:22, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > >I second that, keywords would be especially useful for
> > > "cross-sectional" issues like usability, accessbility or
> > > internationalization. Basically everywhere where assigning to a
> > > single component is not enough.
> >
> > And since we're on it, I'd like to see the Version: item split in two:
> >
> > Version found
> > Version fixed (or target to be fixed)
>
> This, together with various other extentions proposed in this thread mean
> more work and more complexity for the app-maintainers.
> I see most bugs which should be closed as 'notabug' or 'wontfix', judging
> from comment being closed with normal status 'fixed'.  App-maintainers
> don't care, bugreporters don't care.

That is not exactly true. I have seen reporters "annoyed" (to remain polite)
because there bugs were closed e.g. as INVALID because the bug was still
there. ("Why do you close a bug that is not fixed?")

> Elsewhere on this thread a request was made to make bugzilla more friendly
> for reporters. Adding more data on screen and adding more status fields
> has the opposite effect.

I am sorry but Bugzilla is first a tool for developers. Developers do have
needs and if there are not matched alternate systems are created, e.g. Kexi.

Sure it does not mean that users could not be helped more especially to create
bugs. Perhaps also simplified view are needed (but I do not know if it is the
philosophy of Bugzilla, except for non-logged users).

> If any changes have to be made; I'd say it has to be in the direction of
> simplicity.

Have a nice day!