Adding ThreadWeaver libraries to kdelibs

Frerich Raabe raabe at froglogic.com
Thu Sep 7 15:49:21 BST 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 15:50, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 7 September 2006 15:09, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> > I think tools like 'grep' have been long around enough now to make
> > these "reasons" void (but I must admit I don't know how KDevelop people
> > do "Open whatever header file has KFooBar declared" i.e. grep and open
> > in one go).
>
> Ah. Lets go use random names for our files then.   x1.cpp,  y5.cpp etc.

As long as you keep your .h/.cpp pairs, it would not make much of a difference
to me, indeed. But that's because I'm so used to do this grep/open step all
the time, I do it many dozen times a day. For many other people it makes
perfect sense to have header files which at least resemble (probably better
if they match) the class name.

If I think about it, it's very nice for people like me, too, because it makes
this situation where you look at a source file, see some class and wonder
what interface it provides. Then you can go to the top of the file, locate
the include statement which probably pulls in that class (and that is the
step where nice names are useful) and press 'gf' to go to the file under the
cursor (at least in vim).

However, I don't see how uppercase vs. lowercase vs. camelcase vs. underscores
or anything makes a difference, as long as I can visually guess which of
those header files I see has the class I'm interested in. I still think it's
silly to spend so much time discussing the name of the files instead of
what's contained in them.

Frerich Raabe - raabe at froglogic.com
www.froglogic.com - Qt consulting and add-ons