RFC: KToolBox

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:06:38 BST 2006

On 9/4/06, Olaf Jan Schmidt <ojschmidt at kde.org> wrote:
> [ Frans Englich ]
> > Isn't it a usability and accessibility concern that font and styles are
> > hard coded in a class?
>
> Yes, hard coding colours, fonts, sizes or styles leads to accessibility and
> usability problems. The upcoming HIG will contain clear guidelines for this.
>
> All existing instances of such hard coding need to be removed for KDE4. The
> idea is to extend the colour schemes and to provide new convenience widgets
> for application appearance configuration to help enforce this.
>
> If you need an additional colour role, then please tell me what exactly you
> need and I will add it to my list.
>
> Olaf
>
> --
> Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
> accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of
> http://accessibility.kde.org/ and http://www.amen-online.de/

Yeah the hardcoded stuff will not be there in a later version, the
idea though is that its built of more widgets that allow styling of
the toolbox that was not previously possible. Instead of being made up
of just a single tab its created with a header, base, and footer all
which theoretically can be styled. The idea initially was to have
something like CE_ToolBoxTab CE_ToolBoxTabLabel PE_ToolBoxBase
PE_ToolBoxFooter - or whatever, so you can actually have control over
the look of the toolbox. Remember, the reason I made this in the first
place was because I simply couldn't do this with the current way
things work (though I theoretically could have done it if I made a
QStyle JUST for the toolbox - but this is not ideal imho, styles
should be made to be applied to the whole application).

Matt