KConfigBase::read(List)PathEntry and symlinks

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Sep 1 19:39:48 BST 2006

Hi,

 readPathEntry and readListPathEntry doesn't resolve symlinks in case
$HOME is a link to somewhere else. I don't know how common it is, but I
have such a setup. In the case the application deals with resolved
paths internally and then reads back an entry with the above methods,
the two paths will not match.
 Would be nice if such resolving could be done on the kdelibs level,
altough I'm afraid in KDE3 it would break existing applications.
So what I suggest for KDE4 is:
- in read/write path entry after getting the $HOME env. var, resolve it
- when writing replace part of the path with the string "$HOME" if the
path contains the resolved OR unresolved $HOME
- in read, always return the resolved path

This is just a suggestion, might be completely a wrong one. ;-)

Andras