kross in kdelibs

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau friedrich.w.h at kossebau.de
Sat Oct 21 21:10:07 BST 2006

Hi Branan,

Am Donnerstag, 19. Oktober 2006 20:27, schrieb Branan Riley:
> Anyway, moving back to this thread, I think the big reason to stick
> with pure Qt4 is that it works in KDE, MacOS, Windows, and even
> embedded systems based on Qt. I think I read somewhere that there
> would be an attempt to make KDE4 work on all platforms, but is that a
> guarantee yet?

There is no quarantee yet, but a lot of people seem to work towards making
KDE(libs) for these platforms a reality. (No idea about embedded systems
supported by Qt, but from a API point of view most should not be that
different from Posix, may I put a wild guess here).
Having even already a kdelibs 3 port to the Windows world (see kdelibs.com) I
would be really surprised if there won't be one for kdelibs 4, given that
here no longer Qt license problems are a stopper for some.

> Even if it is, KDE depends on Qt, so why use the extra
> library layer if you don't have to?

Because this layer has some values? Or why is it developed at all?

> On 10/19/06, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <friedrich.w.h at kossebau.de> wrote:
> > Why should anyone stay with pure Qt4, once KDE4 libs are available? KDE
> > might do something wrong if people still stay with Qt4 only, no?

Friedrich