KIO Job interactivity

Paulo Moura Guedes moura at kdewebdev.org
Wed Oct 11 00:29:22 BST 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 23:47, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 18:35, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >AFAIK, it isn't possible to stop KIO prompting for the allowance of
> > >certificates, etc.
> > >This is a little annoying in a program like KLinkStatus, for example,
> > > which isn't supposed to be interactive.
> > >I would like to know your opinion about adding a non interactive option
> > > for KIO jobs (with configurable default behavior) or at least a way to
> > > know if the job is waiting for user input.
> >
> > There's no way to access an SSL-enabled website unless the certificate is
> > valid or the user allows permission to it. If KSSL is asking permission,
> > then the certificate is invalid.
> >
> > What else does it prompt and you want it not to? Overwriting files?

No, there's not such case in KLinkStatus. It prompts for authentication, like
in an ftp protected area or some http protected by .htaccess, for example.

>   With KSSL you can tell it "just fail to connect if there is any
> certificate problem".  We do that via metadata, and it's used in the
> favicon code.

That's an option.

I think this presents some usability questions.

As a user I would like to choose between a complete non interactive session
and an interactive session:

- in the first case an SSl-enabled website URL whose certificated fails, would
be considered a non broken URL, only that it would be impossible to continue
to crawl through that URL. The same when authentication is required.

- in the second scenario the user can authenticate and accept/reject the
certificates, but it's still neccessary to know when a job is waiting for
user input, in order to avoid timeouts.

Paulo