Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Oct 9 18:18:59 BST 2006

On Sunday 08 October 2006 17.29, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:

> > or we could all use a framework that allow scriptability through js,
> > ruby, python, (whatever) and dbus for a little effort, and with the same
> > level of support. With the interpreter available on the machine if the
> > user has install it, meaning that js and dbus will allways be available.
> > And python and ruby will be available if the user has install them on its
> > computer.
>
> This is exactly the content of my talk at Desktop Developer Conferenece
> this year.
> http://www.figuiere.net/hub/talks/ddc2006/
>
> Maybe it is worth looking at.
> And that is what Apple did with OSA.

Hi Hubert,

Very nice slides. A couple of comments:

 * (minor point) At the website you have the talk in PDF and OpenOffice.  I'd
be grateful if you renamed the OpenOffice version into OpenDocument.

 * Don't rule out lisp as a language.  I know probably between 15 and 20
languages and when I used lisp for serious programming I was more productive
than in any other so far, including python.  Btw, I don't know if you have
noticed it, but I think python is becoming more and more like lisp every
version.

* Perhaps you should mention Rob Weir of IBM and the Oasis TC.  He's
suggesting a standard object model for ODF documents to be used by scripted
applications. Since you were at the ODF day in Dublin you already know about
it and heard him talk. That would be exactly scripting model and
standardization that you want in slides 16 and 19.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |