RFC: KDE4, KMix and a public Mixer API (possibly freedesktop.org)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Oct 9 09:43:15 BST 2006

On Sunday 08 October 2006 20:03, Christian Esken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a Mixer Service API for KDE4.
> The API is targeted at mixer services (like kmixd), a Mixer (like kmix) and
> several MM apps. It can be used for changing volumes, retrieving volume
> changes, querying for mixers, detecting hot-plugged soundcards/mixers and
> some more services.
> (for example I would like to add keyboard shortcut management, as currently
> 3-n applications fight e.g. for the XF86AudioRaiseVolume shortcut).

 To make sure that there will be yet one more application to fight for it? The
mixer itself has the ability to handle shortcuts and it seems like the right
place for it. Or, if you want just something for handling random shortcuts,
there's KHotKeys.

 Of course, there are the stupid laptop multimedia keys that don't work like
normal keys and need special handling, and there's KMilo which instead of
doing the conversion tries to handle them in hackish ways, but even then I
don't see why you'd have to copy this. Besides, there finally are tools which
can do the conversion of these keys so that they can be handled normally.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz