Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat Oct 7 19:39:52 BST 2006

> well, it allows users to learn one language and apply it in multiple
> places. it would really suck if a user would need to learn one language to
> script koffice, another to script the workspace, another to script kmail,
> etc. all because application developers (that's us) couldn't see past our
> own personal preferences for things instead of doing what is best for those
> who use all of our applications together.

The reallity why JavaScript (and an hypothetic Basic interpreter) aren't
sufficient for KOffice compared to ruby and python, is that neither of them
comes with a sufficient standard library or can compete against the vast
amount of libraries available for ruby and python. So while for drawing a
clock in kicker, JavaScript is a perfectly capable language, it isn't for any
kind of application.

Anyway for that matter, koffice at least will support multilanguage scripting
(including js, ruby and python), now for the rest of KDE it's up to you (just
offering the possibility won't increase the "bloatness" of KDE, or decrease
the space of "kdebase").

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---