Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Oct 7 17:51:41 BST 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Saturday 07 October 2006 8:58, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 October 2006 16:42, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >  - a LOT of people know it from such applications as the web
> >
> > I see this assertion a lot, and I really don't know whether it's right.
> > There are many web-people who have a little javascript -- but are they the
> > people who want to write a script to automate something in KMail? I don't
>
> i would suggest that the examples of firefox's extensions and apple's
> dashboard proves the point quite nicely. if that isn't enough proof for you
> in addition to the logic behind it then i'd suggest you simply don't want to
> be convinced =) now, i understand that when some of us were making the case
> for js in application scripting there weren't such obvious and visible
> success stories out there, but now there are.

It only means that you and I have very different things in mind when talking
about scriptable applications: you are thinking about extensions developers
who make their extensions available to users, and I am thinking about users
and companies (even small ones) who need to write scripts for themselves.
Like we could with WordPerfect 4.2 or Word 2. To create some functionality that
is needed at the user's workplace, but not necessarily elsewhere. Given that
we're not speaking about the same use-cases (which haven't actually been
defined before) it's not strange that you seem obtuse to me and I seem obtuse to
you.

Boudewijn