Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Oct 7 16:06:43 BST 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 17:58, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> The question is really: for whom do want to make our applications
> scriptable?

 I agree, that if we are talking about scriptability for applications,
then there should be no restriction of what is used, but I oppose to
have default functionality for applications implemented in script
languages. For (a completely made up) example, I would oppose having
the clock applet for kicker written in Ruby/Python, but I don't oppose
to the possibility to extend kicker with script applets. It's perfectly
fine to give the users and developers freedom how they want to extend
our applications.
 I think the basic desktop should work just fine without a need for a
language interpreter. Compiled code rulez. ;-)
 If we are talking about complete applications written in a script
language, I'm fine with them, even shipped with KDE, if - again - they
do not provide basic desktop functionality. A game or an edu
application is fine, if I don't use it, I don't need an interpreter.
But a calculator in script language would be bad IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Andras