Fwd: Linux Format award

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Thu Oct 5 07:52:59 BST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 23:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 14:07, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > Interesting that you say that. KSettings::Dialog provides all the code to
> > make Konqueror show a "context sensitive" config dialog. I never dared to
> > make the change though, since I think it might be very confusing that the
> > settings the user once found in his Konqueror config dialog are not there
> > under certain conditions. Those conditions make a lot of sense to us
> > developers - do they make sense to the users?
>
> not until the main UI has been adjusted somewhat.
>
> david, helio and i have discussed at length what would need to be done,
> e.g. remove switching profiles at run time, having more focus in the UI
> depending on the profile, etc...
>
> if the both the main UI and the settings dialogs are sensitive to the use
> case it is being employed for, then it will start to make sense imo

But only if the user never ends up using an instance for web browsing that was
started in file manager mode and vice versa. Which would basically mean that
Konqueror the file manager and Konqueror the web browser would appear as two
different apps to the user.
If the user can do the "other" thing in a profile but he can't change the
associated settings for that "other" thing because they are not there, it
would be really confusing/annoying.

Frank