Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 10:47:08 BST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 09:21, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 18:42, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
> > On Sunday, 1 October 2006 15:11, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > I remember these reasons from last year:
> > >
> > > 2) There are a lot of developers out there that know JavaScript (think
> > > of the web)
> >
> > I work with other twelve developers, we all use GNU/Linux, some of us
> > KDE, others Gnome, some of us prefer C++, others Ruby, Python or even
> > Perl, but we all agree in one thing, we hate Javascript.
> >
> > Of course, this may be anecdotal, but I have yet to meet some developer
> > that enjoys writing Javascript. I'm sure they may exist, but not in (my)
> > FLOSS world.
>
> I know them. Javascript is actually a very elegant object oriented
> language. And with its prototype based objects it is somewhat unique, and a
> very expressive.
>
> The reason for javascript's bad reputation is probably more to do with
> incredible weak typing, but you could have the same problem with perl.
I like JavaScript - maybe because I haven't done all that much programming
with it. If you use the 'prototype.js' library that comes with rails, it's
like using a new language, and it makes JavaScript quite ruby-like. I
suggested to Rich Moore at aKademy that including it in kjsembed would be a
really good idea (it's quite small). Rich is adding functionality to kjsembed
to be able to include JavaScript from standard locations which would allow it
to use standard libs, and we can fix any deficiencies in JavaScript. A very
good thing about the language is that it has open classes, and you can add or
improve methods to the standard classes like Date or String if you don't like
what's there.

-- Richard