Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Oct 4 10:15:38 BST 2006

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> I think we should seriously consider to put an end to this discution :) While language-flames are fun, they are endless :) There is no way everybody will agree on that. The question is : "Does the KDE project accept Ruby-based or Python-based application in kde-edu or kde-games ?"

On the contrary, I haven't seen the actual Python vs. Ruby flames here.
There seems to be a general consensus that they're both ok-ish.  Rich
likes Ruby more and the PyQt guys like Python, but even they haven't
seemed terribly opposed to the other.

While it's less than scientific, it might be more useful for seeing
where preferences lie, so I threw up a poll on kdedevelopers.org:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2425

Honestly I'd say if there's something that comes out clearly on top, we
just take it and move on.

On the other hand, sans the KJS developers plus Thiago, there seems to
be a consensus that KJS isn't really desirable language for application
scripting, which I think merits consideration.  Even if that's just
psychological rather than technical (not saying it is), it still
translates to "people aren't going to use this very much".

-Scott