[RFC] How to handle backends properly?

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Oct 3 12:19:57 BST 2006

Am Samstag, 30. September 2006 17:08 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> So, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create a specific module
> for those backends. With specific release rules. I think it should be
> released each time we release kdelibs, but extra development and releases
> would be allowed when one of the backends is broken because of a behavior
> change in one of the subsystems. It would be more convenient to manage this
> way. Also, having the backends in a separate module would give a clear
> signal to distributors that they can choose only the few ones they want to
> support for their distribution without too much headache.

I wouldn't care too much about it. As long as there a place where users can
get updated/fixed versions from, they will be able to get it. And updating
HAL isn't really something our users do on a daily base. And if you provide
distributions with a way to get latest HAL with latest stable KDE, there is
no need for some extra module.

I'd think an extra module isn't needed.

Greetings, Stephan