[RFC] How to handle backends properly?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Oct 3 11:53:03 BST 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 14:21, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> > One of the point of those backends is to be able to make a release when a
> > subsystem see its behavior changing (like in the transition from HAL 0.4
> > 0.5 for instance). Hosting them in kdebase or kdemultimedia doesn't
> > really support this idea.
>
> How far is HAL from 1.0? It seems that this need has more to do with its
> immaturity/lack of API stability than anything else, so hopefully it will
> stabilize some point soon, removing this headache...

HAL is just an example.
We depend on other software developed by other projects and released on their
own schedule, IIRC there will be a WiFi API related change in one of the next
Linux kernel versions.

Since the main concern seems to be proper packaging, we probably should try to
get feedback from the packagers, especially of those distributions that tend
do make their users suffer by just creating huge monolithic packages.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>