RFC: Making focus information visible for panes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 30 20:03:07 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 01:50, Celeste 'seele' Paul wrote:
> I'm not a developer so I don't know how how it is implemented.  What
> needs to happen on the user's end is that some kind of clear
> indicator must be added to show what has focus.
>
> The example we always cite is in Kmail.

KMail is a particularly bad example for this because KMail is focus-less
by design (safe for a few bugs). In KMail always the main window has
the focus. The downside of this is that one can't use the up/down arrow
keys for navigating in the message list pane because up/down scrolls
the message in the preview pane.

FWIW, the fact that there's no clear focus indicator has always stopped
me from adding an optional focus-aware navigation mode to KMail.

Regards,
Ingo