Okular moving (.pdf page manipulation capability)

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Nov 29 21:43:11 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 12:52, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 17. November 2006 18:01 schrieb Tobias Koenig:
> > On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:36:23PM +0000, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > > Right. The problem is: none of the applications you mention can edit
> > > *PDF* documents. And PDF is one of the core formats handled by these
> > > applications we discuss in this threat.
> >
> > Well, kviewshell can't _edit_ PDF either, it uses some external
> > libraries to do a subset of possible tasks.
> >
> > If you want a _real_ editor you need an abstract document layout which
> > is loaded by the PDF parser and can be written back to file by a PDF
> > writer (neither the abstract document format nor the PDF writer exists
> > for Linux yet).
>
> I don't think we need a _real_ PDF editor, but rather an application that
> is able to do the most basic modifications, like
>   -) extracting pages,
>   -) reordering pages,
>   -) turning some pages,

I'd add to that:
- copying pages (extension on reordering)
- cropping and resizing pages
- changing the "canvas" size of a page
- pasting a cropped & resized page on an elarged canvas of an existing one

This functionality is bread and butter of people who work with scanned
electronics manuals: there are often foldout schematics larger than the basic
page size (letter/A4). Those schematics are available in some .pdfs as
separate pages (you print them out and paste by hand), and in some
as "proper" large scans (11x17", A3, sometimes even A2 etc).

It's been my experience that people who have A3 printers usually end up having
all the paste-by-hand .pdfs (foldouts split to multiple A4 pages). Similarly,
people who only have A4 printers somehow get the .pdfs with large foldouts on
single pages.

Copy/paste/crop/resize functionality would make the life of us electronics
tweakers much easier (with capability to resize the "canvas" of a page).

Cheers, Kuba