RFC: Making focus information visible for panes

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 28 00:11:01 GMT 2006

Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> The problem is that users can never get a hint where the focus is (main pane
> or the side pane). My proposal is to require (from app authors and from KDE
> Style creators) to show the focus by highlighting the current tab (with KDE
> Highlight color, currently blue) if it's focused, and highlight the
> KMainWindow's dock's header in the same way.

Isn't this something handled by the qt-style (QStyle/KStyle) being used?
For example, Plastik draws a highlight-colored box around textboxes, etc
that have keyboard focus. I don't know of any reason why a qt-style
can't do the same thing for tabs or other widgets. You can certainly
make this policy (although I would strongly recommend you allow it to be
a configuration option in the style) but it is still up to qt-style
writers to implement it.

IMO this is something you should never, ever write hacks to address.
Overriding the user's choice of qt-style should only be done out of
extreme necessity.

--
Matthew
This message will self destruct in five millennia.