NEPOMUK-KDE next step and real KDE integration

Sebastian TrĂ¼g strueg at mandriva.com
Wed Nov 22 12:20:11 GMT 2006

Hello everybody,

** Please only discuss this matter on the nepomuk-kde list **

it has been a while since my last announcement and we have done mostly
backbone work which implements the basic communication defined in the NEPOMUK
project.
Now I think we are at a point where we can take the next step and start the
actual KDE integration.
What does that mean? Well, in my mind it looks something like this:

libksemantic (or libsemanticKDE or semantiK ;) you choose
libksemantic is a library which allows each KDE application to create and
query semantic and meta data on the desktop (and thus in the Nepomuk-KDE
system).
In the first phase it mainly communicates with a local RDF store (which is
implemented as a NEPOMUK-KDE service). This store contains all the
information. This also includes indexed data from strigi (Jos, I know you
think the RDF store is too slow for your indexer but we have to keep the
first phase simple to have results fast), contact information and so on (to
the KDE-Pim guys: yes, I think for now we will simply duplicate the data you
keep in Akonadi if necessary. We will have to talk about better solutions
later). Semantic data for now means tags and annotations, i.e. comments for
files, emails, contacts, and so on.

I imagine a very simple layout of the library (please see attached rough class
diagram):
Everything is represented by a Resource subclass. A Resource has certain
properties which represent the semantic and meta data. Each property is a
QVariant (yes, too much detail ;) which can either contain a simple type or
another Resource. Resources are identified by their URL (the final URL scheme
is under heavy disucussion in the Nepomuk project at the moment and input is
needed) and kept in sync all the time. That means if you create two Resource
object referencing the same resource they share their data and changes.
Now creating semantic data is as simple as creating a Resource object with the
URL of the resource and setting some properties. In the default scenario the
information will be synced automatically. Retrieving information is as
simple: just create the Resource, the information will be gathered
automatically.

At aKademy in Dublin the idea came up to replace KMetaFileInfo with strigi. I
think libksemantic could do a good job here. Just create the Resource object
for the file and get all meta information gathered by strigi plus other
semantic information.

Well, so much for the next step I have planned. As I would love to see this
integrated into KDE, please comment, discuss, and provide ideas.

** Please only discuss this matter on the nepomuk-kde list **

Have a nice day,
Sebastian Trueg

http://nepomuk-kde.semanticdesktop.org