CMake 2.4.4 available for download

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Nov 21 22:21:23 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 22:43, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:

> >> supported by

> >> bugfix ?

> >> I think 2.4.4 should be the minimum version for windows.
> >
> > I don't think it's a good idea to have different required versions for
> > different platforms.  If windows requires a version bump to work
> > correctly, then I believe that minimum should be made the new
> > requirement for all platforms. I fear that confusion and mistakes with
> > utilizing too-new features will occur otherwise.

This is true, but 2.4.3 has a serious problem on windows, so you actually
already today have to use cmake 2.4.4 oder cvs HEAD if you're on windows.

To make sure this doesn't happen, we _need_ some people to set up their boxes
to do Nightly builds, at least on Linux, FreeBSD, OS X and Windows (the only
one we already have).

> And updating cmake on windows is much easier than on your different
> platforms.

... updating cmake on linux or freebsd isn't hard neither.
It's just that it would force *many* more people to do this.

IMO it's ok to require 2.4.4 for windows, since
-with 2.4.3 there are some linking problems which lead to crashes
-there is only a very limited number of windows developers

Bye
Alex