Okular moving

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 20 12:30:09 GMT 2006

On Sunday 19 November 2006 21:58, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Samstag, 18. November 2006 16:32 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> A useful basic KDE (3.x) distribution comprises of the packages kdelibs
> kdebase kdeaccessibility kdeadmin kdegraphics kdemultimedia kdenetwork
> kdepim kdeutils kdeaddons (leaving aside whether packagers split those or
> distribute them as they are).

We seem to have a different definition of "basic"
Part of each of those modules are basic from my point of view, however
unfortunately they are usually just one package and thus have loads of
applications that are in no way "basic" desktop

> If you consider a KDE distribution comprising of only kdelibs+kdebase,
> we're at Microsoft Windows level, functionality wise. I'd be surprised if
> this is the direction KDE 4 is heading towards.

I don't consider kdelibs+kdebase suitable, but since you insisted that PDF
viewing is so important, it has to be there, right?

> > Anything else is a matter of package dependencies, where it doesn't
> > matter which source module an application is from. Actually, since the
> > packaging of big source modules is quite broken on some distros, having
> > the viewers in KEG will allow a fullfeatured KDE desktop experience with
> > less installation size, meaning fewer applications filling the K-menu
>
> The really big problem with this approach is that people have to know
> beforehand which application they have to install to get feature X.

Actually no, that's the point of a package dependency, isn't it?
If a user installs the KDE desktop package, e.g. usually a meta package
called "kde" or "kde-desktop", it will depend on the packages that make up a
full-featured KDE desktop. If it does depend on kdegraphics or just KPDF is
not a teeny weeny bit different to the user at install time, but gets them
less crowded K-menu at runtime.

> Do you
> think that Joe User has any idea the he has to install an application
> called Okular before he can view pdfs? Especially as he didn't have to
> worry about this in KDE 3.x times where it was sufficient to install all
> kde* packages and not missing out anything.

First, I said that the viewer would always be part of the "desktop"
dependencies. Second, if the user installs all kde* packages, there will
hardly be a difference between now and then, they will get everything (well,
unless the meta package for kde extragear is not prefixed with kde)

Anyway. Since source repository organisation currently implies installation
modules and this is not likely to change anytime soon, we should just make
KEG an official module and have it released (additionally to their own
intermediate releases) as one hugh package (poeple other than me seem to like
hugh packages) whenever KDE releases.

Everybody gets "everything of KDE" and everybody is happy and we do no longer
need to discuss into which module to put apps.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring