ReadOnly KParts Was: Re: Okular moving

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Nov 20 10:52:19 GMT 2006

On Friday, 17. November 2006 21:31, jos poortvliet wrote:
> Op Fri Nov 17 2006, schreef Gary L. Greene, Jr.:
> > Agreed, the "detach" would open the full featured application, and the
> > previous container application (note that I'm thinking of Konqueror or
> > any other case where the read-only viewer could be applied...) would
> > revert to the state BEFORE opening the read-only kpart.
>
> but how relevant is this for very basic operations? image viewers have
> resize, crop, rotate... a pdf vier can then have the abillity to extract,
> rotate or remove pages, right?
I agree that these modifications are important features, but I would not
exactly say that they belong to a "viewer".  IMO that functionaly could be
part of the "detached" read-write part.

Concerning the image viewer: Zooming and rotation are attributes of the
display and belong into a viewer.  Resizing (in terms of interpolation/
resampling), cropping, and rotation operations which change the original file
are clearly no "viewer" features.

Some sort of exception would be a lossless change of image orientation, which
is not really changing the file from a users POV, but simply its presentation
(just permanently, in contrast to the zooming etc.).  Technically, this can
be seen as the same kind of metadata like a file's comment or tags
(keywords, ...) in contrast to the perceived file content.

> okular actually proves this point by
> providing annotation support... grtz

Which point does that prove (and how)?

Ciao, /  /