Okular moving

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Nov 19 22:46:03 GMT 2006

On Sunday, 19. November 2006 21:58, Leo Savernik wrote:
> A useful basic KDE (3.x) distribution comprises of the packages kdelibs
> kdebase kdeaccessibility kdeadmin kdegraphics kdemultimedia kdenetwork
> kdepim kdeutils kdeaddons (leaving aside whether packagers split those or
> distribute them as they are).

We did have that discussion on how that scheme is not ideal?
Because
a) you're right, but
b) if you install all of them, you get a lot more
   than is sensible for a default desktop.

I remember the proposals to release more of the apps independently, and gather
a few of them together in order to form a "basic KDE desktop".
Like for example, have a kdegraphics module with Okular, Ligature,
KColorChooser and KPovModeller, and an extragear-graphics module with Digikam
and KPhotoAlbum, where only Okular, KColorChooser and Digikam would be
included in the basic desktop assembly.

Time to reconsider if it's a good idea to couple the timed KDE-wide module
releases with inclusion in the promoted "official" KDE. If only for K3b,
which is the clear winner by now ;)

Have a nice day!
oh wait, wrong line.