Okular moving

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 15 21:27:41 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 3:57, Torsten Rahn (KDE) wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. November 2006 03:10 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > cd burning is not a hard requirement for a basic desktop. neither is
> > digital camera software.
>
> What do you define as a hard requirement?

to quote my own email:

"i keep asking myself where these lines exist. i don't yet have a good answer.
maybe one of you do. there are some obvious inclusions, but it gets fuzzy at
the edges for me still."

with that disclaimer, as i see it:

a "basic desktop" is not the same thing as a "shippable desktop". we don't
ship a finished product. we create the pieces, identify them as best we can
("this is part of our libraries and has an ABI policy, this is one of our
core communications apps, this is an extragear app, ...") and the packagers
work with that (and us) to produce shippable products.

so a "basic desktop" would be, imo, "the basic unit upon which one would build
a useful desktop for a given set of users".

not everyone does digital photography and only a subset of those use a
software manager for their photos. it's an outright rarity in office use. so
it's certainly not a "basic desktop" component in that sense then.

more people may burn CDs, but then more people than that use word processors
and yet we don't ship a word processor either. and some OSVs ship their own
custom cd burning software with kde rather than K3B. it's not an "indivisible
part" of that thing we call the desktop.

i am, however, very concerned about document viewers (which includes pdf)
because they are IMHO a part of that "basic desktop" and this too is
reflected in the decisions made by packagers. who doesn't ship a pdf viewer
as part of a default desktop? how many distros write their own document
viewers? how many would -want- to?

can we afford to let a natural selection process happen in this case?

and would a natural selection process even "work" as it did with cd burning
titles given that the two applications look and function so similarly?

yes, it's a lot of judgement calls.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se