64bitness

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Nov 6 20:16:56 GMT 2006

Lubos Lunak wrote:
>On Thursday 02 November 2006 11:36, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On D-Bus, this would have generated an error on all platforms. For one
>> thing, the dubious type "long" isn't present in QVariant, so you're
>> forced to choose between int (always 32-bit) and qlonglong (always
>> 64-bit).
>
> Ah, so that's why there's the ugly qlonglong in all DBUS calls that
> pass window id along? I was hoping there was a way to get rid of that
> :(.

What else would you use in there? D-Bus has no concept of "integer whose
size is the machine word". And I don't think it should: we've seen what
that definition has done to C (int was supposed to be that type, but now
that dubious idea has fallen to long, and only on the Unix platforms).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358