KMessage/KMessageHandler: a core/ui seperation for displaying message.

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sun May 28 20:02:11 BST 2006

On Sunday 28 May 2006 13:16, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Sunday 28 May 2006 17:06, Michaƫl Larouche wrote:
> > I rencently wanted to make a notification framework for Kopete4 to
> > replace all the KMessageBox in the code. Then Olivier Goffart remembered
> > me of the thread "core/ui separation".
>
> Nice work. My comments:
>
> * It is heavy to make such a generic class as KMessageHandler a QObject for
> the only purpose of memory management, imho(or is there any other reason?).
> I would use a reference counting mechanism instead, since it doesn't decide
> that all users should use QObject, and it is also a more flexible memory
> management mechanism.

Yes, use KSharedPtr or its equivalent instead. If reimplementers of the
generic message handler need a QObject, then they can use multiple
inheritance.

> * I would like to put KMessage and KMessageHandler in separate files to
> make things easier to navigate/less to include, etc.

how is it easier?

> * Make the values in MessageType OR'able(1, 2, 4, 8), such that they later
> on can be used in code which needs to say "I accept these kinds of
> messages", and so on. Add "typedef QFlags<MessageType> MessageTypes;"

IIRC, values don't need to be OR'able in order to be used by QFlags. Just the
proper Q_DECLARE_FLAGS( MessageTypes, MessageType ) macro needs to be used
instead. AFAIK, "typedef QFlags<MessageType> MessageTypes;" is less correct.

> * I would put the private parts of KMessage in the cpp instead, since it's
> public API. (Or no, it wouldn't work?) It would also be nice to get the
> other private functions out of the public API. Since d-pointers should be
> added anyway I guess they can be moved there(no?).

what do you mean here? Where do you see the need for d-pointers? I don't think
a d-pointer in necessary in this case.

> * Doxygen is automatically inherited from super classes, so it's not
> necessary to @copydoc it(well, Adriaan, correct me on that if I'm wrong).

better safe than sorry, no? :)

> * I would tone down some of the test code: "You revealed Apple's secret and
> you are now sued by them", and "Loading of kde_pron". I would come up with
> other texts.

agreed.

> * To me it looks like calling KMessage::short(type, text) is identical to
> calling KMessage::shortMessage(type, text). If they're not, why/when would
> one want to pass an empty QString to short()? I also think it's better to
> code information about a message in data, instead of the name of a function
> call.

where is there a KMessage::short function? I don't see it.

> * What reasoning concluded KMessage::Sorry is needed? Debug, Warning,
> Error, Fatal are all "message types" that can easily be distinguished and
> motivated(imho), and they aren't controversial. For example, it's what DOM
> 3 Core and Qt happens to have. However, what is a message that is of type
> Sorry? Why isn't a warning or fatal error of type Sorry? What is the
> possible actions a message handler can do on Sorry? I think that a need of
> "Sorry" originates from that this KMessage/KMessageHandler is insufficient
> in some cases.

This would be analogous to the current static functions in KMessageBox like
sorry, warning, etc.

You say it's insufficient, but you don't say how. How is it insufficient?

> It could be an idea to abstract the message into its own class, "KMessage",
> that instances of are sent to the message handlers. In this way one doesn't
> have to distinguish between short/shortMessage, and users can sub-class
> KMessage to make them carry exactly what they need. KMessage would have the
> pure virtuals "MessageType type() const", "QString message() const", and
> "QString title() const", perhaps. DOM 3 Core uses this design, obviously I
> find it sensible.[1]

Why would we need this sort of functionality at this point in time? If it's
needed later, we could surely add it. Let's not get carried away with trying
to do handle everything all at once.

> I don't really get how this is supposed to be used. The purpose of message
> handlers is to abstract the code, to give flexibility. That a global,
> static message handler is used counter acts that. Who is entitled to change
> that message handler? Some library in kdelibs? A user application? I don't
> know about all usage scenarios this is intended for so it's a bit difficult
> to comment and propose alternative solutions. All I can is that a global
> message handler is limiting, and that one wants to move away from global
> things, not increase it.

At this point, I can't say I understand it either. Especially with the
examples provided.
--
Matt