LSB summit

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun May 28 10:16:49 BST 2006

Avi Alkalay wrote:
>I think, as always, that the whole system is missing an homogeneous way
> to deal with configurations. Configuration files with different formats
> aren't a good solution. There should be an API together with generic
> TUI and GUI tools to precisely handle every aspect of some software
> configuration that it published as configurable. And this should be
> system wide, and not only related to a specific framework.

I don't think a shared configuration system is a necessity for LSB. I fail
to see why a third-party application or an ISV would want to read a
random other application's settings.

There are some settings, yes, that need to be shared. For instance, the
current icon theme name: I've talked to an ISV quite recently that wanted
to implement the icon theme spec for their product. It turned out they
had everything they needed, except for the theme name. So they couldn't
load any icons.

This doesn't mean we need a shared configuration system for all settings
in all applications.

However, Elektra should strive for two things:
1) be standardised as a library in LSB, like other libraries are now
(QtCore, gtk, stdc++, etc.)

2) be used for the backend method to read those shared settings.

For #2, you would need to start at XDG and you should be aware that there
is a competing and much simpler standard being worked on, called
XSettings.
  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway